Suite 7, The Gap Village Shopping Centre, 1000 Waterworks Rd, The Gap, QLD 4061 | P: 07 3300 5355 | E: click here


Bupa Dental The Gap

Suite 7, The Gap Village Shopping Centre, 1000 Waterworks Rd, The Gap, QLD 4061
P: 07 3300 5355
E: admin@thedentist.com.au

8.00am - 6.00pm
8.00am - 5.30pm
8.00am - 6.00pm
8.00am - 7.00pm
8.00am - 4.00pm

ParkingFree undercover parking
Wheelchair AccessEasy access for wheel chairs

Periodontal (Gum) Disease

It is important to ensure good oral hygiene in order to prevent Periodontal Disease, commonly known as Gum Disease. Our mouths are full of bacteria that constantly form a sticky, colourless plaque on teeth which can be removed with regular brushing and flossing. Plaque that is not removed can harden and form calculus, also known as tartar, that brushing can't remove which then requires professional cleaning by a dentist to be removed.

If good oral hygiene is not maintained bacteria, which colonise the plaque, may cause inflammation of the gums that is called gingivitis, where the gums become red, swollen and bleed easily. Gingivitis is a mild form of gum disease that can usually be reversed with daily brushing, flossing, mouthwashes and regular cleaning by a dentist.

When gingivitis is not treated, it can advance further to periodontitis where the attachment of the gums to the teeth is destroyed allowing the gums to pull away from the teeth. This chronic infection forms infected pockets and starts to break down the bone and connective tissue that hold the teeth in place. If not treated, the bone, gums and connective tissue that support the teeth are destroyed. The teeth may eventually become loose and have to be removed.

If you experience any symptoms of gum disease have your mouth assessed by one of our dentists at Dental Excellence and ensure gum disease is treated at the earliest possible stage.

More services from your experienced dentist at The Gap, QLD.

Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding with a surgical or invasive procedure, you should seek a second opinion from an
appropriately qualified health practitioner.